It seems like most of the posts I write are late in the evening. I suppose that’s because the toddler and the wifey are usually in bed and I can clear my head enough to put something together. I’m not much of a multi-tasker. The only real downside to that is that I don’t usually get around to taking pictures until I’m posting, so they’re always in poor light.
In any case, late nights are great for knitting, and I’ve been getting lots of that done! I finished my adult size River District Toque (pro quality photos still pending–the wifey has been very busy this week). Here’s a peek:
The colors are really much closer to this:
More purple, less yellow overall. I love it! I wove in all the ends. I still intend to give it a light blocking as the stitches could use some evening out and the garter stitch edge along the brim is trying to curl under a bit.
I like it so much that I cast on for another one in the toddler/child size:
I love that the small difference in size dramatically changed how the yarn behaved (in terms of color). It’s been a very quick knit and I should be able to finish the crown tomorrow sometime, and try it on my daughter. Earlier today, I showed her mine and put it on to model it. I asked if she would like me to make her one just like it. She said yes, and that we would have “twin hats”. I love that kid!
Once again, I grafted it in pattern. I’ve learned a lot about that process and I think will have some valuable tips to pass on to the author of the pattern, Rachel at welfordpurls. I’d like to try it out in a different yarn, but haven’t quite gotten there yet.
I cast off my Twirly Summerskirt yesterday. I think that’s some of the fastest knitting I’ve done. It’s really just miles of stockinette in the round (especially because I didn’t do any of the purl stitch detailing), but still. The next to last row is, with 340 stitches already on the needles, to kfb every stitch. Then knit one round, then bind off…680 stitches. I think those last two rows and the bind off took about 40% of the total knitting time! Anyway, I still have to (you guessed it) do the finishing. End-weaving should be minimal as I used this technique from TECHknitter for most of it. Other than that, it needs a basic blocking and then elastic sewed into the waistband. The yarn is 80% acrylic so blocking won’t change the shape, really, but some of the stitches would hopefully get evened out. I’m pretty pleased with it so far!
That pic is shadowy but you get the point. In this pic, the skirt is folded in quarters:
I can’t wait to see the toddler twirl in it! I do, however, realize that I now have seven recent projects off the needles that need some sort of finishing. That’s not including old, old projects I intend to finish and/or frog.
Seven. I need to do something about that. These puppies need to go out into the world and be used!