This hat has been done for a little while now. However, I didn’t have the opportunity to get a modeled pic until yesterday. This was a quick little test knit for Taiga Hilliard aka cashmerejunkie.
Pattern: Pinecrest Hat (not yet published)
Yarn: 75 yards of Mary by Goddess Yarns, aran weight, 50% wool, 50% viscose.
Size made: Baby
Needles: US6s for the body and 5s to cast on.
Techniques used: Longtail cast on, cabling
It was hard to get decent pics of this project. My phone likes to remove yellow shades so the teal looks a little bluer than it actually is. Also, due to the viscose content in the yarn, there’s a bit of shine to it that works really nicely with the cables. I love the clean lines of this design. The twisted rib cables look very svelte and precise and the leaf detail adds just enough curve to the look for interest. The yarn I used is very splitty and at first it was challenging. However, once I got going it was fine. It ended up being a good choice.
I don’t think I’d do anything differently if I made this again. It would work with many different kinds of yarn. Anything with a fairly consistent weight (i.e., not thick and thin) that shows stitch definition well would work. The pattern includes sizes newborn through large adult, so this would be a good hat for just about anybody!