I finished this dress some time ago, but ran into trouble when I blocked it. It grew in length so much that it was longer than the recipient is tall! I wet it down again, threw it in the dryer, and crossed my fingers that it wouldn’t be ruined. Well, it wasn’t! So, at long last, here’s my review.
Yarn: Sawya by Mirasol Yarn. I got this off the sale rack at Kitschy Stitch last summer. The project used 3 skeins plus a yard or two (I lost at yarn chicken–I ran out while binding off). That comes to just over 276 yards. It’s listed as a worsted weight yarn but I think it’s closer to aran.
Size made: 18 mo. Model is 11 mo but wears 12-18 mo clothes.
Needles: US6s for the yoke, 7s for the body and 10s for the bind off.
Modifications: I worked M1R and M1L the standard way (it’s listed differently in the pattern).
Difficulty: Easy, but not beginner-easy. Read the instructions carefully to be sure you know when to work flat vs. in the round, how to work the armholes, etc.
The model tends to be in constant motion, so getting clear pics was a little tricky! It looks super cute, but it’s too long for her right now. There’s room in the body for her to grow into, so I think it will fit her better next fall or spring. If I made it again, I would shorten it quite a bit.
The yarn was lovely to work with. It’s a cotton, alpaca and silk blend. It’s very soft and silky but the cotton gives it a good bit of structure. I love the color and it survived the dryer looking no worse for wear. The buttons I dug out of the button hoard are awesome! You can kind of see them in the first pic. They are orange with white polka dots.
Overall, this was a nice pattern to knit. I could see myself making it again, just shorter. It would be a great summer dress for a little babe as it’s easy to get on and off. I like how it looks in the solid color, but I think it would work well with a semisolid or tonal yarn, too.