FO Spotlight: The Miller’s Daughter
I am thrilled to have this new piece to show off! Just as soon as it gets significantly below 90F here…so, in a few months, ha ha. Anyway, I managed not only to finish this by the end of the Melanie Berg Any Shawl KAL (today), I also managed to weave in all the ends AND block it. It’s 100% done. That’s a pretty big deal, for me, as there’s typically quite a delay for those last couple of steps.
Pattern: The Miller’s Daughter by Melanie Berg. I was lucky enough to receive this pattern for free as a prize for participating in Melanie’s weekly chat topic. For the second time*, one of my posts was chosen by random number generator and I was able to choose a free pattern.
Yarn: Three very different choices. The stripes are in The Fibre Company Road to China Lace in Sapphire (from Jimmy Beans’s Wool Watcher) and Cherry Tree Hill Yarn Superlace Ragg in Ocean (from a DBNY grab bag). The contrast stripes and lace panels are in madelinetosh tosh lace in Edison Bulb (from Jimmy Bean’s, on sale). The first is a blend of alpaca, silk, cashmere and camel. The second is merino, wool, polyester and acrylic. The third is 100% merino. They are all lace weight. I used a total of 1,229 yards.
Size made: One size. I didn’t measure it but the short edges each are at least 6′ long, after blocking.
Needles: US4s. I used my new Addi Clicks.
Techniques used: Nothing special except lifelines.
Modifications: The only thing I changed was the color progression. The pattern calls for the lace panels to be done in all in one of the stripe colors except the final one, which is done in the other stripe color. I wanted more pop so I used the accent color for all the lace panels. Otherwise, I knit it as written.
Difficulty: Easy, as long as you don’t lose count in the lace sections!
And just so you get a sense of how big it is:
Each of those blue tiles are 2′ square. Speaking of blocking, this is the first time I’ve used my new blocking swag! My mom was kind enough to get me this set of mats (I have nine total) and blocking wires. The wires are this set from Inspinknity on etsy. They are awesome! I especially didn’t realize how nice it is to be able to neatly and evenly block curved edges. The wires worked really well and I’m looking forward to using them for many years to come. At some point, I might add a set of the extra long wires to my collection, seeing as I tend to size my shawls “giant”!
*This was the first time.